Solid Waste Division / Transfer Station
- Paul Vito
- 33 Medway Branch
Norfolk, MA 02056
11 AM — 7 PM (4/1 - 9/30)
9 AM — 5 PM (10/1 - 3/21)
8 AM — 4 PM
The Recycling/Transfer Station Facility was constructed in 1992 to promote recycling. The facility is located at 33 Medway Branch Road at the intersection of Medway Branch and Barnstable Road and is open two days per week for use by Town residents.
- Wednesday — 11 AM to 7 PM (April 1 - September 30)
- Wednesday — 9:30 AM to 5 PM (October 1 - March 31)
- Saturday — 8 AM to 4 PM
- Saturday — December 23, 2017 — 8 AM to 12 PM (Noon)
- Saturday — December 30, 2017 — 8 AM to 12 PM (Noon)
The Recycling/Transfer Station (RTS) continues to explore expansion of its recycling base and the collection of household waste. Wood waste and yard waste products are processed into usable materials for residents. The RTS also offers bulky waste pick-up & disposal for residents.
- New Vehicle Decals for 2017-2018 will be available in May 2017
- Vehicle decals are required to use the RTS and are only available to Norfolk residents.
- Proof of residency and vehicle ownership are required. Acceptable forms of proof include a driver's license and vehicle registration or utility bills with applicant's name and Norfolk address, if the Mail-in method of payment is preferred. Specifics are outlined in our newsletter, which is mailed to every household each spring.
- Please refer to the Newsletter and Calendar for more detailed information.
- Residents 60 years of age or older receive a senior citizens discount. Proof of age may be required.
- RTS is more than a solid waste facility. We encourage residents to purchase a decal to utilize the facility for recycling. Recycling capabilities include brush and yard waste disposal.
Vehicle Decal Fees
Please note: Online transactions (for Norfolk Residents only) a shipping and handling fee of $0.57 will be added to each online transaction
1st Vehicle (Standard)
1st Vehicle (Senior)
- $ 45.00 — 60 & older
Additional / Replacement
Prorated fees apply after January 1st, please check with the DPW
Summary of terms for the purchase of an Additional Decal:
- First Decal must be purchased before you are eligible for the second one
- 2nd Vehicle (Additional) — $5.00 — On-Line ONLY when purchased at the same time as the 1st Decal
- 2nd Vehicle (Additional) — $5.00 — Mail-in available anytime
- Replacement Decals — $5.00 — Mail-in available anytime
- Additional/Replacement — $10.00 — Purchased at the Facility
Recycling activities include: separating, collecting, hauling and delivering recyclable materials; developing new market sources and maximizing revenue opportunities; monitoring and promoting residential participation to increase the number of participants and tonnage recycled.
Items Accepted for Recycling and Disposal
- Appliances (freezers, washers, refrigerators, dehumidifiers, etc.)
- Batteries (household) - Automotive
- Brush and yard waste
- Cardboard (brown corrugated, cereal boxes, egg cartons, paper board boxes)
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Glass (clear, brown, green)
- Light iron (bikes, water heaters, etc.)
- Metal (brass, copper)
- Paper (office paper, junk mail, newspaper, magazines, catalogs)
- Plastics (#1 & #2 clear, #2 colored & white)
- Plastics (#3 - #7, ridged plastic)
- Propane tanks
- E-Waste (televisions and computer monitors, etc.)
- Waste oil
Trash disposal activities include compacting and hauling residential non-recyclable solid waste to a state-approved facility.
Household Hazardous Waste
The household hazardous waste collection program that was implemented in 2001 has been very successful and cost effective. Household Hazardous Waste is accepted at the Norfolk Recycling/Transfer Station on Wednesday ONLY from April 1st through September 30th between the hours on 11:30 am and 6:00 pm. This service is available to ALL Norfolk residents at No Cost. (Please refer to our annual Newsletter for more details)
The Town of Norfolk has also entered into an agreement with the area towns of Ashland, Bellingham, Dover, Franklin, Holliston, Medfield, Sherborn and Walpole to form a consortium to pursue a permanent regional household hazardous waste collection center.
Is accepted at the Recycling/Transfer Station on Wednesdays from April 1 through September 30 between the hours of 11:30 am - 6:00 pm, label contents if original label is illegible. Oil base ONLY, NO MIXING, 10 gallons per household with no leaking containers. Latex Paint - Full, reusable cans only.
Services Provided When the Facility is Not Open to the Public
The Recycling/Transfer Station Division provides various services when the facility is closed to the public;
- Municipal Solid Waste and Recyclable Collection - The Recycling/Transfer Division maintains a weekly schedule for collection of solid waste and recyclables at municipal buildings, athletic fields, recreation areas, cemeteries, conservation areas, Town Center and Town Hill.
- Hauling Solid Waste and Recyclables - The Recycling/Transfer Station Division hauls the solid waste and recyclables generated during the facility hours of operation. The Division also provides the service to other towns, which increases its revenue base.
- Earth Products - Earth products include: brush and yard waste, which is processed into usable material, and can be purchased by residents or other town departments. The compostable yard waste is stored in an approved fashion; Town and residential trees and shrubs are processed into wood chips; development/expansion of markets for sale of compost and wood grinding products.
- Christmas Tree Disposal - We encourage all residents to utilize the Recycling/Transfer Station for Christmas tree disposal. A decal is not required for this function.
- Compost and Wood-chips are Available - Check with the DPW office for availability 508-528-4990
- Residents with a current decal — No Charge
- Residents without a deca — $1.00 per 30 gallon container — $8.00 per cubic yard
- Tuesday, Thursday and Friday — 7:30 am — 3:00 pm
- $50.00 per delivery
- The Recycling/Transfer Station is offering a pick-up service of large items for residents
- All items must be in the driveway or easily accessible
- Pick-up — $40.00
- Disposal — $15.00 per item
- $15.00 for items containing freon (refrigerators, air conditioners & dehumidifiers)
30 Yard Roll-Off Rental
The Recycling/Transfer Station is offering the rental of 30 cubic yard roll-off containers to Norfolk residents and businesses for a maximum period of 4 weeks.
- $200.00 fee is payable upon delivery - cash or check made payable to the Town of Norfolk
- $ 85.00 per ton for disposal will be due after the the roll-off has been emptied
- No rental fee for the first two weeks
- After two weeks the rental fee will be $25.00 per week (Fee will increase to $50.00/week on 7/1/17)
The following items will NOT be disposed of in the roll-off:
- No Hazardous Waste
- No Paint
- No Appliances
- No Propane Tanks
- No Tires
- No Televisions or Computer Monitors