Vital & Restricted Record Requests

Home  >  Departments  >  Town Clerk  >  Vital & Restricted Record Requests

If you are looking to access restricted records, please review additional requirements and/or limitations.

Vital Records

You may use the provided submission form or call the Town Clerk at 508-528-1400 to make a records request. If the Clerk can fine the record(s) you request, you will be e-mailed a quote which can then be returned in the mail if you decide to order. While you may come in person to pick up a record(s), it is still recommended to make a request either online or by calling. This is to verify whether or not the Town Clerk possesses the record(s) you seek.

Required Information

  • Name of the person for whom you are seeking a record.
  • Type of Record(s): Birth certificate, Death Certificate, Marriage Certificate.
  • The number of copies you would like for each record.


Copies are $10 each.

Payments should be mailed to

Town Clerk’s Office
1 Liberty Lane
Norfolk,  MA  02056

Vital Record Request Form

Restricted Records

Access to restricted birth and marriage records is limited by §2A, Chapter 46, MGL

  • For those persons with access to restricted records, proof of identity (a photo ID) is necessary, and in some cases additional documentation is also necessary. Access to persons other than listed below require a court order.
  • For internet orders you will need to additionally fax a copy of the ID to the following number: (508) 541-4157.
  • For mail orders, include your ID and documentation (if necessary) with your order form. Please provide information on your fax as to when and how your order was placed.

Out-of-Wedlock Births

Access to non-marital (out-of-wedlock) births is limited by §2A, Chapter 46, MGL to the following:

  • Subject of the record (child)
  • Parents listed on the record
  • Father not listed on the record with documentary proof that he is the father (such as a paternity adjudication, stipulation or properly completed Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage)
  • Legal guardian of the child
  • Legal representative of the child

Marriages of Person Born Out-of-Wedlock

Access to marriage certificates when the bride or groom was born out-of-wedlock is limited by §2A, Chapter 46, MGL to the following:

  • Bride or groom
  • Legal representative of the bride or groom
  • Parent or guardian of the bride or groom